Often when we hear the words "self care" we can feel selfish and indulgent. STOP IT! Yes, life is busy and is full of many responsibilities and the notion of setting time aside to do something for you may seem frivolous. However, it is necessary. You heard right! Taking time out to do something for yourself is crucial for your own mental wellbeing. It is not just about taking care of your skin and physical appearance, but taking care of your mental health.
If you don't take care of yourself, how can you take care of others?
One of my favourite forms of self care is taking a bath in the evening. I will often read a book or sometimes just zone out. Including bath salts is a great way to add some body detoxification while you relax. Read on to find out why they are so beneficial.
Let's take a look at the main ingredients that make up the Mandi Makes bath salts and why they are so good for you.
Pink Himalayan Salt
Salt is actually a critical part of our diet and has been given a bad wrap over the years due to people consuming the wrong kind of salt, highly processed table salt. This sort of salt contains little to no health benefits and can cause more harm than good. However, the right kind of salt helps to keep your body hydrated by providing necessary electrolytes.
Whilst we are talking about soaking in salt rather than directly consuming it, our skin absorbs everything that it touches. Therefore, your body still absorbs all the benefits through the skin.
Himalayan salt is said to contain all 84 elements that are found in our bodies and can help with the following:
• "Regulating the water content throughout your body;
• Promoting healthy pH balance in your cells, particularly your brain cells;
• Promoting blood sugar health and helping to reduce the signs of ageing;
• Assisting in the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in your body;
• Absorption of food particles through your intestinal tract;
• Supporting respiratory health;
• Promoting sinus health;
• Prevention of muscle cramps;
• Promoting bone strength;
• Regulating your sleep — it naturally promotes sleep;
• Supporting your libido;
• Promoting vascular health;
• In conjunction with water, it is actually essential for the regulation of your blood pressure."
This is where I purchase mine (use code MANDIMAKES for 10% off*): N-essentials
Dead Sea Salt
Now this is a salt you don't really want to eat due to its bitter nature! However, it is incredible for the skin. Apparently Cleopatra attributes her great beauty to dead sea salt and went to great things to get it. Its use dates all the way back to Biblical times and was given as a gift from the great King Solomon to the Queen of Sheba.
It holds a stack more minerals than normal salt including:
• Magnesium - we all know the benefits of magnesium to help in reducing muscle soreness and fatigue
• Calcium - not only is calcium great for bone health, but did you know it also helps with promote new skin cell growth and regeneration, as well as regulating sebum production to help with moisture retention!
• Sodium - this mineral provides the cleansing and exfoliation salt is known for, and also helps to deal with free radicals caused by pollutants in the air.
• Zinc - this little gem is great for boosting collagen, we all love that!
• Potassium - potassium helps to increase moisture as well as reducing any puffiness.
• Sulphur - Normally we associate sulphur with a not so pleasant smell. But, in this case, this amazing mineral helps to decongest pores alongside providing powerful healing, anti-fungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties.
This is where I purchase mine: https://www.blants.com.au/product-category/dead-sea-salt/
This humble ingredient, like dead sea salt, has been used for centuries and dates back to the time of the ancient Egyptians who are known to have used it for mummification, as well as personal hygiene and medicinal purposes. Its natural form is called 'nahcolite'. It is a naturally occurring product found in lake beds, but unfortunately the majority
of store bought baking soda is chemically produced. So, make sure you check the label and look for 100% pure natural baking soda. This is where I purchase mine: https://www.blants.com.au/sodium-bicarbonate/
• natural and gentle exfoliant
• helps to unclog pores thanks to its alkaline nature
*This is an affiliate code